Aetna Subscribers click here for important additional information
Laser Periodontal Therapy (“LANAP”) Instructions
- DO NOT brush the gum line of the treated area(s) for 1 week.
- Brush only the chewing surfaces (tops) of the treated teeth for 1 week.
- Brush all other teeth normally.
- DO NOT floss the treated area for 1 week.
- Floss all other teeth normally.
- Avoid hot temperature food and drinks the day of the surgery (coffee, tea, soup).
- Soft foods (fish, pasta, etc.) are advised for the first few days.
- Avoid crunchy, salty, spicy foods for 1 week.
- Avoid drinking with a straw for 3 days as it can create bleeding.
- DO NOT chew with teeth that have been treated (chew on the other side of the mouth) for 1 week.
- If both sides of the mouth have been treated, chew lightly.
- Once the numbness wears off, you may experience discomfort.
- The treated area(s) could remain tender up to one week.
- A cold pack can be gently placed on the outside of the cheek for up to 20 minutes every 2 to 4 hours. This is most effective the first 24 to 72 hours following the surgery.
- You may or may not notice small blood clots or white scabs along the gum line of the treated area(s). It is very important NOT to disrupt or dislodge them, as they are there to help with the healing of the gums.
- It is NOT advised to return to work the same day of surgery due to possible discomfort and bleeding.
- You likely will be able to return to work the following day.
- If you elect to be sedated for the procedure, you may NOT return to work the same day but may return the following day.
- Avoid exercise or heavy lifting for 2 days.
Prescription Mouth Rinse
- For 1 week: Rinse twice daily (morning and evening) for 30 seconds.
- Take as directed until gone.
- Take as needed: Ibuprofen, Tylenol, or prescribed medication.
1 Week Follow-Up Appointment
- An appointment will be scheduled for you to return 7-10 days following the surgery.
- The treated area(s) will be evaluated for healing.
- Proper brushing and flossing techniques will be reviewed.
- At this visit, we will determine when to schedule your next visit.
Back to Procedure