Brushing / Flossing
- Gently brush and floss the area. It is important to keep the area clean as it is healing.
Brush and floss all other teeth normally.
- Softer foods will be desired for the 1st day.
Avoid crunchy, hard, spicy, salty foods (pretzels, nuts, chips) as they will irritate the treated area(s).
Avoid drinking with a straw for the first 3 days as this can create bleeding from the treated area.
- It is normal to experience soreness. Typically the 1st day is when the most soreness will occur.
See pain medication below.
- The area will slightly bleed the day of the procedure and possibly the next day.
Moist gauze will be sent home with you to fold and place under the lip.
DO NOT go to sleep with gauze in your mouth as you could accidentally swallow it.
School / Work
- It is best NOT to return to school or work the day of he procedure due to discomfort and bleeding.
- If pain or bleeding is not a concern, you may return the next day.
Sports / Exercise
- Avoid playing sports or exercising the day of the procedure.
- If pain or bleeding is not a concern, you may resume activity the next day.
Prescription Mouth Rinse
- Rinse twice daily (after breakfast and before bedtime) for 1 week.
- If one is prescribed, take until gone.
- Children take as needed: Children’s Tylenol, Children’s Motrin.
- Adults take as needed: Tylenol, Ibuprofen.
1 Week Follow-Up Appointment
- An appointment will be scheduled for you to return 7-10 days following the surgery to evaluate the area(s) for healing.
Back to Procedure